Author: Olympia Resol:RN, MPH, CRNI, CARN
Duration: 1h 0m
DETAILS *For CEU verification, ALL Health Professionals should create an account first.We apologize for the inconvenience.
An ostomy is a surgically created opening in the body that connects an internal organ – such as the intestine – to the surface of the body so that waste can be eliminated.
Approximately 1,000,000 people in the United States have an ostomy and more than 130,000 ostomy surgeries are performed in the U.S. each year. With that being said competencies and knowledge about changing ileal conduits is a much need skill.
This article focuses on ideal care and tips on removing and changing Ileal conduits.
Supplies for changing Ileal conduit:
Hollister bag/ conduit bag
Template for measuring stoma guide
Before starting, set up your supplies and include a small waste bin where you can toss your trash.
1. Wash your hands, put on gloves. In home setting, you can use alcohol or sanitizer.
2. Empty the pouch before removing it.
3. Assess stoma and surrounding skin and document. Assess appliance to determine what to use (prep pad, barrier pad)
4. Remove appliance – Loosen the tape around the pouch and flange. Hold the skin down with one hand and gently pull the pouch and flange away from the skin with the other hand. The flange should come off easily. Be careful not to tear your skin but if you for some resistance you can use a sting barrier wipe.
5. Keep stoma clean and dry- You can put gauze outside the stoma or you can wash the skin around the stoma with water and rinse well then pat dry. You can use stoma powder. Do not rub the stoma or it will bleed.
6. Get template and measure – Cut the stoma bag with right size of the stoma. Remove the inner backing of the back. Ready your skin prep and paste. Put paste on backing and to create a better seal and prevent leaking you can also use a cohesive. Press stoma bag to the skin and remove outer paper backing, you can use your fingers to press firmly on the skin so you can securely tape it on the skin.
7. Wash your hands after.