Author: Olympia Resol:RN, MPH, CRNI, CARN
Current Accreditation: California Board of Registered Nursing – 2.00 Hours – Reference number: 15273 / California Department of Public Health (CDPH) – 2.00 Hours – Reference number: 7039
*For CEU verification, ALL Health Professionals should create an account first.We apologize for the inconvenience.
What is the HIPPA/ Privacy Compliance Law?
• HIPPA: stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
Passed by Congress in 1996;
implemented April 14, 2003
• Ensures that personal medical information that patients share with healthcare providers remains private and is protected.
• Understand principles of the HIPAA Privacy Rule
• Understand your role in protecting patient information
To Whom Does HIPAA Apply?
• Covered Entity: under HIPAA, this means health plans, healthcare clearinghouses, healthcare providers who transmit any health information
• Healthcare providers include all workforce members of hospitals and clinics including healthcare students
The Privacy Law
• Protects all health information created by a healthcare provider, health plan or healthcare clearinghouse
• Protects this information no matter how it is transmitted (verbally, electronically or in writing)
• Defines who is allowed to use patients’ protected health information